Work In Canada

Canada work permit

There are two classes of work visa. 

  • The first is an open work permit where the the work permit holder can work wherever they please and for whatever company agrees to hire them. The most popular and easily to be admitted to is the IEC Working Holiday Visa.
  • The second work permit class is an employer-specific work permit whereby a work permit is granted only upon meeting certain criteria, namely that a Canadian employer has agreed to hire you for paid work. You may also be limited to only one employer and or one area where your designated employer is based. 

Open work permit


Open work permits whereby no formal pre existing requirements are needed are open to working professionals that fulfill certain standard positions. These include an athlete or coach, clergy, witness or investigator, military personnel and other jobs that are highly specific. The exception to this is an IEC Working Holiday Visa. For most foreign nationals wishing to work in Canada, a legal document authorizing formal employment and stay in Canada is needed.  

IEC Working Holiday Visa


The Working Holiday Visa is part of a program called International Experience Canada (IEC). This class or work visa is an open work permit which does not require a job placement to apply; it allows for free travel and work in Canada for up to two years depending on your country of origin. 

A Working Holiday Visa is a fantastic route for young people up to the age of 35 who want to experience Canada and be free to work and travel in Canada as you wish. This class of visa is perfect if you want to;

  • Work for more than one employee in Canada 
  • Work in more than one location 
  • Earn some money whilst you are traveling 

The IEC Working Holiday Visa is an open work permit meaning that nearly all jobs in Canada are open for you to apply to work in during your time in Canada. 

Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP)


The Temporary Foreign Worker Program facilitates employees to fill labor and skills shortages on a limited time. Examples of prioritized and highly sought skills include but not exclusively; agricultural workers, agri-food, truck driving and health care occupations. Employers under the TFWP require a labor market impact assessment (LMIA) from the employer before you are able to start working in Canada.

Other Canada work programs


There are many different work programs. Each has its own unique requirements. For instance, health care or agriculture workers can apply through a work program that is designed to fill labor shortages. Other work programs are more geared towards working and immigration. There is no one size fits all. The diverse number and type of Canadian work programs are a reflection of the diversity of foreign workers that Canada wishes to attract. 

* Québec as will all immigration or work programs has slightly different requirements and conditions. 

What is a labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)?


The labor market impact assessment is needed by an employer in order for candidates to start working under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program and most Canadian work programs.

A LMIA confirms if there is a need for a foreign worker ( positive LMIA) and no Canadians or permanent residents are available to fill the position. 


that the position can be filled by a Canadian or permanent resident ( negative LMIA) and no foreign nationals are needed to fill the position.

We can assist you


Canada Express Visas can help. With extensive knowledge and experience with Canada work programs, we understand that every client is a unique case. Leave your details below for a free consultation with our work permit team. 

Let’s get started on your Canada Visa Application.

CEV is a private Canadian Immigration company and is not affiliated with the Canadian Goverment.

Privacy Policy

Start your Canadian Visa Evaluation

CEV is a private Canadian Immigration company and is not affiliated with the Canadian Goverment.

Privacy Policy